Friday, October 1, 2010

The 1st of Blogtober

Hello Blogtober, my old friend. I have not been blogging as much as I'd like to of late, and I think Blogtoberfest is just what I need to kick start me again.

I'm beginning Blogtober with a very heavy heart. My dear childhood friend Jeannie died last weekend in a terrible car accident. We farewelled her yesterday at a beautiful funeral, surrounded by many of her childhood friends and her heartbroken parents. I am in shock, and can't believe that she is gone. Jeannie was 37 years old, taken too early.

Jeannie
Photo by Wildwood Pictures, used with permission.

We met in primary school, in Grade 1, and we were the best of friends for a number of years until I moved to a different school. Whenever we would meet people and were introduced together, we were always met with looks of disbelief: "I'm Gypsy" I would say, "I'm Jeannie" she would say. People had lots of trouble believing two little girls were really called Gypsy & Jeannie! People would often confuse us, and I spent quite a long time answering to 'Jeannie'!

Jeannie and I stayed in touch during our teenage years, but lost contact after that. I have kept up with Jeannie's 'happenings' over the years, through mutual friends, but it has been a long time since I have seen her. Nonetheless, I am feeling her loss very deeply, as are so many other people.

I remember Jeannie's energy, her vibrant nature and her zest for life. Even as a child she was always coming up with great ideas to keep us entertained, and Jeannie always made us laugh. Being with Jeannie was always fun. And from what I heard yesterday at her funeral, she hadn't changed a bit. 

Rest in peace Jeannie. You are loved, and sadly missed.

9 comments:

  1. Oh honey I am so sorry for the tragic & untimely loss of your beautiful friend... xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to you Gypsy girl. So sad to read of your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you lost your friend. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gypsy I am so sorry to hear the sad news about your friend. Sending you a big hug. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Gyps, I am sad to hear of your loss. It is difficult to explain the depth of the hole left by such a sudden loss of such an important part of your childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for your loss of such a wonderful being. It breaks my heart when I hear of such amazingly vibrant beings taken so early in their lives =-(

    Thank you for sharing this and your last post on organ donations. You are right - heaven knows we need those organs to save the lives of more vibrant human beings =-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for your loss.
    Much love
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no. What terrible news. What a shock. I can feel your heavy heart through your words and I ache for you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Gypsy, I am sad for you. We have had a sad week too. I hope you are going okay xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself here! Hope you enjoy the blog :)